Skip to main content

A Reaction to Obscurophobia


Originally Posted on October 31, 2007


I just had an epiphany earlier this week. More and more people suffer from Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder these days. It's as if people are suddenly desperately craving for attention that they would do the silliest things just to make people notice them, just to get people to look their way. I personally know a few people who behave like this. They seem forever restless. It's like they're deathly afraid to pass even a second of having the attention of nobody. They crave so much for it that they fall short of actually accosting you physically just to get you to notice them. I'm painting rather pitiful pictures of these beings, am I not? But I'm serious. I really do know people like these.

I'm quite curious. Do they fear the possibility of experiencing obscurity for a few measly minutes or hours? Why is that? What is so scary about experiencing seconds, minutes, hours, days, or weeks of being unnoticed? I personally feel it would be so cool to be invisible once in a while. To be able to do something and not be held accountable for it. To scream at the top of your lungs without having to worry if you're going to disturb the person sitting next to you. To make silly faces without being afraid of what others may think of your sanity. Wouldn't it be great fun to do any of those without needing to think of other people's reactions?

However, I'm not saying you should aim to go through life unnoticed. No siree! It would also be nice to do something that others might consider great and be recognized for it. Infamy has its own benefits after all. But aiming to become popular for doing silly inconsequential things 24-7 is just plain pathetic. I personally believe that your every thought and action should be worth something. Well, it is all right to be silly sometimes because having a laugh once in a while is good for the soul. But you should make most of your days count for something, not just for any silly sort of "infamy". Am I being too serious? I just feel a little bothered about this realization… that is all.

Pardon me for being my boring old self today.
 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Dark Horse by Marcus Sedgwick

If you're one of my cyber friends, you'd think I barely read these days because of the lack of book posts I've done lately. But actually, I'm still at it... at a much slower pace, albeit. But I'm still at it. I'm just so overwhelmed with other stuff that I barely have time to write for fun, which I think is quite sad. Downright depressing sometimes, I tell you! Anyways, the last book I've finished--that I could still remember--is The Dark Horse by Marcus Sedgwick. I've had this book for years. You see, I collect books I think I want to read and just dump them in boxes whenever my bed becomes too crowded and start to smell like an old library. So I have tons of books I've had for years but never really read. Lately though, I've been rummaging inside the aforementioned boxes because people have been asking to borrow some of my books. And the nerd in me gets excited when I get to convince people to read... so rummaged the boxes, I did. And in ...

Pardonnez-moi

It has never been much of a secret to people, or to myself, that I can be quite brutal when stating facts. Sometimes, I'm just too impatient to find ways to skirt around hurtful words and just bluntly say things that pop into my head. In short, I'm usually tactless. Other times, I'm just plain careless. But contrary to what most people probably think of me, I don't like nudging people's sensibilities. I don't like stepping on other people's toes either. And this might be a hard concept to grasp, but some people do know how to make up their own minds... and stand by them--come hell or high water. And I am one of them. I don't know why?! But with every set of friends I make, this concept seems to be quite hard for them to swallow. Why?! I just want to dodge those seemingly inescapable monikers "bitch" or "ice queen" for a change. Is that so hard to comprehend?! Yes, I know. Some people find it irresistible to goad me because I'm a p...

Funny Day

This surprised me when I pressed "home" on my net browser.  Strange, but cute. ^_^ Grazie, Google! I guess? And no, I still don't celebrate it. Haha!