Skip to main content

A Reaction to Obscurophobia


Originally Posted on October 31, 2007


I just had an epiphany earlier this week. More and more people suffer from Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder these days. It's as if people are suddenly desperately craving for attention that they would do the silliest things just to make people notice them, just to get people to look their way. I personally know a few people who behave like this. They seem forever restless. It's like they're deathly afraid to pass even a second of having the attention of nobody. They crave so much for it that they fall short of actually accosting you physically just to get you to notice them. I'm painting rather pitiful pictures of these beings, am I not? But I'm serious. I really do know people like these.

I'm quite curious. Do they fear the possibility of experiencing obscurity for a few measly minutes or hours? Why is that? What is so scary about experiencing seconds, minutes, hours, days, or weeks of being unnoticed? I personally feel it would be so cool to be invisible once in a while. To be able to do something and not be held accountable for it. To scream at the top of your lungs without having to worry if you're going to disturb the person sitting next to you. To make silly faces without being afraid of what others may think of your sanity. Wouldn't it be great fun to do any of those without needing to think of other people's reactions?

However, I'm not saying you should aim to go through life unnoticed. No siree! It would also be nice to do something that others might consider great and be recognized for it. Infamy has its own benefits after all. But aiming to become popular for doing silly inconsequential things 24-7 is just plain pathetic. I personally believe that your every thought and action should be worth something. Well, it is all right to be silly sometimes because having a laugh once in a while is good for the soul. But you should make most of your days count for something, not just for any silly sort of "infamy". Am I being too serious? I just feel a little bothered about this realization… that is all.

Pardon me for being my boring old self today.
 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Real Deal about Truth and Freedom

For the past few weeks, I have been fortunate enough to stick to the routine of reading a verse from the Bible every morning and reflecting on its message. It has been wonderfully enlightening, to say the least.  Last Wednesday, this was the verse that greeted me when I opened my Bible app...  If the son therefore shall make you free, ye shall be free indeed.   ~ John 8:36  To say that I was stunned is an understatement... but then, I shouldn't have been. Ever since I can remember, whenever I'm struggling with some ethical or moral dilemma, I always get an epiphany of the answer. In my youthful pride, I thought "Wow, I'm brilliant." Not knowing it was not actually me but God who was guiding me to the answers. It took me a while to realize this and thankfully when I became an adult, I did. This time was one of them. You see, I was struggling. Four months and still counting, my father and I have been forced to endure each other's company for weeks on end. Outsid

A blessed month... this one we call January

Many of my friends and some of my family were born this month. I do not exactly know if they were born on gloomy or sunlit days. But I do know this, my world has been made more beautiful because they were. More specifically, four of my most favorite people in the world were January babies. *Bella Dona* (10th) She is one of the wisest and kindest people I know. She has both been a staunch supporter and chastiser in my world. She transforms into one or the other from time to time, whichever I need the most at that time. And she is among the first to turn 31 in our batch this year. Hehehe! But never you mind, Don. 31 is just a number. What matters is that your heart is in the right place. Right? Right! :D *Lovely Lola Natang* (25th) She was my first ally ever since I came out and greeted the world with my annoying baby cries. She was the one who first took care of me when my Mama immediately went back to work after my natal day. And she was always the first to enthusiasticall

Another Food Blog

Yes, I'm writing for another food blog; only this time I'm getting paid for it. Great gig, right? So for my friends out there, please check the said food blog... that is if you have any time to spare. (Click on the title or the cute pink cupcake.) And no, I'm not forcing anyone to read this. That would be beyond arrogance. Even I know I'm no expert on writing in general. But since the lady boss is happy about the articles, I'm pretty content about the whole thing... despite doubts. (And yes I'm aware of the contradictions in those statements. Moving on!) Hehehe.