Skip to main content

The Dark Horse by Marcus Sedgwick



If you're one of my cyber friends, you'd think I barely read these days because of the lack of book posts I've done lately. But actually, I'm still at it... at a much slower pace, albeit. But I'm still at it. I'm just so overwhelmed with other stuff that I barely have time to write for fun, which I think is quite sad. Downright depressing sometimes, I tell you! Anyways, the last book I've finished--that I could still remember--is The Dark Horse by Marcus Sedgwick.

I've had this book for years. You see, I collect books I think I want to read and just dump them in boxes whenever my bed becomes too crowded and start to smell like an old library. So I have tons of books I've had for years but never really read. Lately though, I've been rummaging inside the aforementioned boxes because people have been asking to borrow some of my books. And the nerd in me gets excited when I get to convince people to read... so rummaged the boxes, I did. And in one of these rummaging excursions, I noticed I have three Marcus Sedgwick books and realized I've never really read any of his works before. I remembered I just bought the books because I like the covers... and they were on sale. Haha! But boy, was I glad I bought them! So far, I've only read this one. But judging from that alone, I have to say I'm looking forward to reading more of this author's works. *crossing fingers*

Now, the Dark Horse is a story seen through two perspectives, the impartial narrator and Sigurd--a boy who lived in a little village by the sea. On the first chapters, I immediately empathized with the foundling they called "Mouse" because she was portrayed as the powerful but suffering underdog... or maybe because I'm just a hopeless feminist. Haha. But the ending was surely a shocker. I literally shouted my surprise at the unexpected turn of events that people walking by my table at the mall gave me worried looks. They probably thought I was some crazy nerd that just discovered some imaginary conspiracy or something. Oh yes, I was that melodramatically taken aback. All right, I can be such a drama queen sometimes. In fact, friends call me a living breathing anime. But I digress.

Anyway, I love the book. It was actually quite a page turner and the imagery leaps through the pages like scenes from a movie. Moreover, it reminded me of Alice Hoffman's The Foretelling, which is an all-time favorite of mine, too!

So, would I read more Marcus Sedgwick tomes? Heck, yeah!

Comments

  1. Not familiar with the author but the story sounds interesting especially when you mentioned 'the unexpected turn of events..'

    I miss book reading. I've not read since giving birth. The Hunger Games book has been gathering dust in the corner of our couch. Though i've already seen the movie, I feel compelled to read it because (in most cases) the book differs from the movie.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cge lang oi. Your baby is so worth the I-have-no-more-time-for-books condition... or is it "state"? Hehehe.

      I saw the movie, too. Nice! But definitely read books. I still have to read the third one, but the first two are really good. Exciting kaayo. And I only have the ebooks ha. Tangible books are still nicer, IMO. :D

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

The Real Deal about Truth and Freedom

For the past few weeks, I have been fortunate enough to stick to the routine of reading a verse from the Bible every morning and reflecting on its message. It has been wonderfully enlightening, to say the least.  Last Wednesday, this was the verse that greeted me when I opened my Bible app...  If the son therefore shall make you free, ye shall be free indeed.   ~ John 8:36  To say that I was stunned is an understatement... but then, I shouldn't have been. Ever since I can remember, whenever I'm struggling with some ethical or moral dilemma, I always get an epiphany of the answer. In my youthful pride, I thought "Wow, I'm brilliant." Not knowing it was not actually me but God who was guiding me to the answers. It took me a while to realize this and thankfully when I became an adult, I did. This time was one of them. You see, I was struggling. Four months and still counting, my father and I have been forced to endure each other's company for weeks on end. Outsid

A blessed month... this one we call January

Many of my friends and some of my family were born this month. I do not exactly know if they were born on gloomy or sunlit days. But I do know this, my world has been made more beautiful because they were. More specifically, four of my most favorite people in the world were January babies. *Bella Dona* (10th) She is one of the wisest and kindest people I know. She has both been a staunch supporter and chastiser in my world. She transforms into one or the other from time to time, whichever I need the most at that time. And she is among the first to turn 31 in our batch this year. Hehehe! But never you mind, Don. 31 is just a number. What matters is that your heart is in the right place. Right? Right! :D *Lovely Lola Natang* (25th) She was my first ally ever since I came out and greeted the world with my annoying baby cries. She was the one who first took care of me when my Mama immediately went back to work after my natal day. And she was always the first to enthusiasticall

Another Food Blog

Yes, I'm writing for another food blog; only this time I'm getting paid for it. Great gig, right? So for my friends out there, please check the said food blog... that is if you have any time to spare. (Click on the title or the cute pink cupcake.) And no, I'm not forcing anyone to read this. That would be beyond arrogance. Even I know I'm no expert on writing in general. But since the lady boss is happy about the articles, I'm pretty content about the whole thing... despite doubts. (And yes I'm aware of the contradictions in those statements. Moving on!) Hehehe.